Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Creamy Southwestern Onion

Funny story with this soup, I'll get there in a bit...

I found this recipe on a website called copykat.com. This site specializes in providing recipes from famous restaurants. I believe I was looking online for a soup I tasted at Sweet Tomatoes/Soup Plantation but I don't recall which soup. Anyway this site is a good resource for all kinds of recipes.

I love French Onion Soup so I thought this Southwestern version would be fun to try. Here's the funny story part. I made an error with the chipotle chilies when I made this soup. The recipe calls for 3 Oaxaca chilies or canned chipotle chilies if you can't find Oaxaca. I misread that line as 3 cans of chipotle chilies not 3 chipotle chilies from a can. Needless to say the soup was way too spicy so I kept cutting the soup until I ended up with almost three batches instead of one. It was still a bit too spicy but went over well at work anyway. It is times like these that you wonder how you manage to stay out of your own way!

This recipe makes 6 plentiful servings.

INGREDIENTS
2 large yellow onions, halved, sliced thinly
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 teaspoon chopped garlic
2 tablespoons of cooking sherry
1/4 cup of flour
1 quart of chicken stock
3 Oaxaca chilies (substitute 3 chipotle chilies, drained, from a can with adobo sauce if you can't find Oaxaca chilies)
1 cup of heavy cream
6 ounces of white cheddar cheese, shredded
1 roasted poblano pepper, stem and seeds removed

METHOD
Sauté the onions in the butter until tender
Add garlic and sherry
Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute
Add the chicken stock and 3 Oaxaca or Chipotle chilies
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes
Remove and discard the chilies
Add the cream and diced poblano chilies
Simmer for 5 minutes
Salt to taste

No comments: