Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Creamy Pasilla Sweet Onion

I found this recipe on the Copykat.com website. This is one of those sites that post recipes of dishes from restaurants across the country.

I had never made this soup until this last weekend. I love French Onion Soup but the recipes I've used have all been very labor intensive and very time consuming. This one is neither. The batch I made this weekend for the family was very good, spicier than I expected but not too spicy. A very good onion soup. Not low calorie by any means due to the cream but very delicious.


Prep time is 15-20 minutes, mostly slicing onions. You can cut this time down if you use a slicing mandolin. We have one I bought several years ago. I rarely use it because I'm scared to death of slicing off a finger tip. But I did use it for this recipe since the onions need to be sliced thinly. Berdie loves the mandolin, I have to leave the room when she uses it, all I see is me rushing her to the hospital with her hand bundled up in a blood soaked kitchen towel and her fingertip in a ziploc bag filled with ice. Full cooking time is 45-60 minutes. This recipe makes about 3 quarts of soup.

INGREDIENTS

2 large yellow onions or 3 medium ones, thinly sliced
1/2 stick of butter
2 teaspoons of minced garlic
1/4 cup of sherry
1/3 cup of flour
1 quart of chicken stock
3 dried pasilla chiles
16 oz heavy cream
8 oz pepper jack cheese, grated
3 green chiles, the canned variety, diced into 3/4 inch pieces
1/2 cup of lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste

METHOD

  1. Saute' the onions in the butter until just tender, about 8 minutes. I suggest you slice the onion rings in half so they are easier to eat with a soup spoon.
  2. Add the garlic, sherry, and flour
  3. Cook about 2 minutes
  4. Add chicken stock and pasilla chiles
  5. Bring to a boil
  6. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes
  7. Remove the pasilla chiles and discard
  8. Add the cream, cheese and diced green chiles. Spread the cheese evenly over the top of the soup gradually so you don't end up with clumps of cheese
  9. Simmer 5 minutes to meld the flavors
  10. Add the lemon juice and salt to taste. If you need it a little spicier add either chile powder or white pepper a little bit at a time.


No comments: