Saturday, October 23, 2010

Revist of Potato & Swiss Cheese Soup

Back in early September I made a pot of this soup and had mixed feelings about it. I took it to a pot luck party and there was almost a full pot left. I took the remainder to work as a second soup and it was a huge hit!

My problem with the first batch was the swiss cheese being all lumpy and chewy. I dumped the full portion of the grated cheese in the pot at once and then stirred it in. This resulted in a bunch of chewy cheese lumps, not good.

I made this soup for a second time today as a thank you gift to my Brown's Boot Camp friend Anna J for her help in checking in on our house and cat while we were in Hawaii last week. This batch came out perfectly! I portioned the addition of the swiss cheese in small batches this time and stirred each really well. This really helped the texture of not just the cheese but the entire soup. The flavor was also really good, rich and creamy. The onions and bacon really added wonderful flavor.

This is a really easy and quick soup to make. One of the keys is thinly slicing the onions and potatoes. We have one of those mandolins where you can adjust the thickness of the slices. I bought it about 20 years ago on Home Shopping Network. I don't use it very often, only when I need really thin slices. It scares me! My wife Bertie uses it frequently but she does not use the vegetable holder, preferring instead to hold the veggies with her hand. I am always begging her to use the holder because I dread the day when she slips and takes off a couple of finger tips and off the the ER we go. It's gonna happen sooner or later.

Try this soup and let me know what y'all think.

No comments: