Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Chorizo, Kale & Cranberry Bean

This week's Wednesday Soup slipped to Thursday. I spent Tuesday evening installing a new garbage disposal and didn't have time for soup making.

This week's soup is a Bobby Flay recipe. What caught my eye was the Cranberry Beans. I had never heard of Cranberry Beans before so a quick look on Google and found that they are also called borlotti or shell beans in New England. They have a nutty flavor. A cool answer reference I found is wisegeek.com. I had to call a couple of stores here in the Tucson area to find them but was successful at Sunflower Market.

It was very easy to make with simple ingredients. I used beef chorizo that was loose as opposed to being in a sausage tube. White and red onions, carrots and celery sauteed in a couple of tablespoons of the chorizo fat. The chorizo I bought didn't have enough fat so I added olive oil to the pot. The kale gets added to the sauteed veggies and cooked until wilted. Some white wine and chicken stock are added and then simmered. The beans and cooked chorizo are added and cooked until the beans and kale are soft.

We'll see what the crowd has to say tomorrow.

The kitchen toy tip this time is what I call a scooper but what is called in the "trade" a prep taxi. At least that's what Food Network's site calls them. I use it to scoop up diced veggies to put into pots or bowls. You can do in one scooop what might take two or three tries just using your hands. Here's a link to the Food Network site with the prep taxis http://www.foodnetworkstore.com/ProductList.aspx?Ntt=prep+taxi&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchall&Nty=1&N=0&Ntk=All

1 comment:

markinmiddleage said...

The soup went fast and lots of compliments. I was more concerned about this soup than any of my previous recipes. The main ingredients were such an unusual mix with chorizo, kale and cranberry beans, that I thought some folks would be put off. But my concerns turned out to be unfounded.

The soup had a good tangy flavor from the chorizo and the lemon juice. The kale could have been more finely chopped making it easier to spoon up but overall I was real pleased with the soup. I learned from my friend Jacquelyn how to post URLs so I updated the post above with the link to Food Network's store page for the scoopers or "Prep Taxis".