Monday, August 16, 2010

Thai Chicken & Pumpkin Soup

I got this week's recipe from a co-worker. It sounds interesting.

Chicken, onions, garlic, ginger, celery, carrots, mango nectar, lime juice, rice wine vinegar, cilantro, cream, canned pumpkin and cornstarch. I couldn't find two of the ingredients yesterday at my usual grocery store, Fry's. Mango nectar and the canned pumpkin. Lots of other nectars out there but not mango. The pumpkin was an unexpected hard-to-find. Nothing in the canned fruit aisle, canned vegetable aisle, baking aisle with other pie fillings. I even broke down and asked one of the customer service people as I made my way to the checkstand. This lady looked at me like I was wearing a Santa outfit in August. "Why we haven't had pumpkin filling since the day before Thanksgiving!". OK then.

So I'll be checking Sprouts, Sunflower and Safeway for those two items.

On an unrelated topic, my wife Bertie had arthroscopic knee surgery last Friday the 13th, her idea on the date. She had a torn meniscus repaired. She's doing real well and now walking without her crutches most of the time. She's pretty tough and very independent. It's nice to see her doing so well. She's my sweetheart.

2 comments:

jacquelyn said...

The soup was most excellent.

Re: the pumpkin pie filling. Last year there was a major pumpkin shortage due to crop problems. You couldn't find it anywhere! I located some at the sketchy Fry's by my house and stocked up. I have several cans, all waiting for me to put into a pie. I did make some pumpkin bars with it, though.

My husband loves mango nectar. Here's a tip: go to the Mexican food aisle and get the Jumex stuff in the cans---they have peach, mango, strawberry-banana---I actually just ran out to the garage to make sure I am accurate and yep, Jumex in the cans. I think TJs also carries it in a big plastic bottle.

markinmiddleage said...

Thanks for the review Jacquelyn. I was nervous about this soup because it was an unusual mix.

I found the pumpkin at Safeway and also the Kern's Mango Nectar in 12 ounce cans. I also recall seeing the Jumex brand on the Mexican food aisle.